Take the “car” out of cargo. Rock the Bike has been selling, customizing, and designing Cargo Bikes and Sport Utility Bikes since before we began in 2002. We noe focus on three models of cargo bikes, and we can help you find the best one for your needs. We currently offer the V3 and V4 Yuba Mundo, the Mundo 500 (electric cargo bike and generator), and the Xtracycle FreeRadical, which you can use to convert your existing mountain bike or city bike.
What’s Great About Our Cargo Bikes?
Carry large loads and passengers.
Offer handling, stability, and comfort superior to standard bicycles thanks to the long wheelbase.
Highly Customizable to the needs of your family, business, or project.
Body Position Analysis: We fit your bike to you at our shop, give you a test ride, and make adjustments as needed.
We know commuting, take our bikes on Public Transit and can offer specific tips on how to fit a load-carrying bicycle into your lifestyle, and enhance it! Read Paul’s analysis of taking a Mundo on BART or using a BART elevator to get the Mundo to Berkeley.
We focus on cargo bikes.
Most bike shops focus on ‘performance’ categories like road biking and mountain biking. We focus on load-carrying bikes, always have. We are constantly attaching loads of various sizes, riding in the rain, testing, improving, selling, customizing, and sharing our Cargo Bikes. We use them to make our deliveries. We use them to haul our gear to our Pedal Powered Stage music events. A shop that sells all styles of bikes won’t know the particular strengths and weaknesses for each and will speak from brochures. We use our products and speak from experience.
We got skill.
– We recently hired a dedicated mechanic, Spencer, in 2011
– We offer all customers a tune up 30-days after purchase, and you can always stop by to make adjustments on your bike
– If you choose to convert the bike you already have into a Sports Utility Bike by buying the Xtracycle FreeRadical, our build includes a tune up on the donor bike.
– Get your creative juices are flowing, let’s customize your cargo ride!
We’re part of the community.
- Rock the Bike includes a co-founder and the lead product engineer of Yuba since 2007, and we’ve been part of the Xtracycle community since 2000.
- We co-founded the Bicycle Music Festival, which uses cargo bikes to transport all music and festival gear.
- Regularly suggest and test new features for Yuba and Xtracycle products
- We’ve been part of ground breaking bike tours, such as the Pleasant Revolution Tour
- Founder Paul Freedman was a co-founder of Worldbike.org, an international nonprofit developing low-cost cargo bikes for developing countries.
So You Want A Cargo Bike … Please ask yourself a few questions:
If you simply imagine carrying a laptop and lunch to work, then a cargo bike is overkill for your needs. We can share options and accessories for regular city bikes with a rack and panniers. If you imagine yourself dropping off two kids at school, then a long-wheelbase bicycle is a must. Both the Xtracycle and Mundo are good options at this point. Cost may be the deciding factor. The Mundo is a cheaper solution if you are looking for a complete bike. The Xtracycle FreeRadical is less expensive if you already have a mountain bike or city bike you are willing to convert.
When investigating our Cargo Bikes, here are some of the many things to consider:
- The loads you’ll be carrying
- What type of use: Daily commuting? Distance touring? Deliveries? Vacation use?
- Terrain. What does your local terrain look like?
- Body issues: Do you have any special considerations like back pain, neck pain, that we should know about?
- What’s your bike parking situation like where you live, work and hang out? Will you be lifting this bike alot, carrying it up stairs?
- Do you already have a bike that fits you well? If so, can you bring it with you when you visit Rock The Bike?
- Color. Have you checked out the colors available on the bikes we sell?