Best 12″ Powered Speaker!!
“I torture tested them all. The JBL PRX12M’s blew everything else away and are awesome in a live situation. The truly amazing part is that they only weigh 34.5 lbs. Goodbye mini-van! I have done large rooms with these speakers and they even put out a large amount of low end without a subwoofer. Add in a nice sub and you’ll be in tears because it sounds so good. These are the ones you’ve been waiting for. All my DJ friends have gotten rid of their old speakers and bought these after hearing my set up.”
-John Zucco, Professional DJ & Musician
A Rock the Bike exclusive! Our circuit modification makes these speakers up to 44 percent more efficient than the super efficient stock version. The best-matched speakers for human power on the planet.
Relatively light in weight compared to other speakers of its quality, efficiency and Pro Audio clarity, the Modified JBL PRX loudspeaker has been an essential building block of our Pedal Powered Stage since we started.* JBL did the hard work of creating a full line of great-sounding loudspeakers – we figured out how to run them on good clean Pedal Power and how to use as little electricity as possible for the most sound and thump.
The applications are endless: bike parties, press conferences, full-on concerts. We can help you craft a selection that will handle crowd sizes from fifty to more than 1,000 people. Digital Signal Processing in these speakers means they sound great without needing an equalizer or mixer: just plug in a microphone or MP3 player and enjoy fantastic pro sound.
Pro Audio equipment normally runs on AC power; outdoors that means running an extension cord from a nearby building or fossil fueled generator. Our modification eliminates the need for AC power and allows you to run these speakers directly from our Pedal Power Utility Box’s DC power output.
Plug and Play
Normally, Pro Audio gear is more complicated to set up and use than an untrained person can manage alone. But because these are powered speakers with onboard digital signal processing, they’re much easier to operate. Simply connect the power cable and the audio signal, and turn the volume knob to the desired setting. The speaker does the rest. For a press conference, you can run a microphone right into the speaker — you don’t even have to own a mixer. Similarly for mobile sound, you can run an MP3 player right into the speaker.
We offer two models from the full line of JBL PRX loudspeakers, and space considerations force us to keep a low inventory. Please get your project started early with us to hit your key event deadline.
Here’s what we carry in the PRX Line:
- 612 — 1,000 Watts. A great-sounding wedge monitor for live bands. Also can be thrown on the back of almost any cargo bike. Read more about the (unmodified) JBL PRX 612. Speaker reviews.
- 635 — 1,500 Watts. A dedicated 5″ midrange woofer in this speaker renders vocals and instruments with great clarity, while the 15″ woofer delivers plenty of bass. Read more about the (unmodified) JBL PRX 635, with reviews.
44% power savings – how’s that possible?
It’s true! We measured the power consumption of these loudspeakers in both AC mode and Modified DC mode by running a bass-heavy tone into the speaker and confirming that the audio output level was equal. The speakers used 35 percent less power in DC mode! Add to that the 9-10 percent efficiency penalty that most AC-DC inverters take, and you get a 44 percent power savings when using them in DC mode. In practical event terms, this means you get the same amount of clean, clear, danceable music, but with only a little more than half as many bikes. You can do amazing things with even one pedaler. In the world of Pro Audio, 44 percent is an unheard-of efficiency gain, and the PRX line, with its digital Crown amplifiers, was already known for being an efficient loudspeaker.
Can I just use this old car audio equipment instead?
Most DIY bike music projects use car audio components, because it is relatively inexpensive, widely available and will work on 12-volt DC power such as a motorcycle battery. However, car audio equipment cannot satisfactorily amplify musicians at a concert, because it does not have the overall listening levels, right kind of signal processing or clarity required. It was designed for recorded music in small, enclosed spaces, not live instruments in large open ones. That’s why you need Pro Audio equipment. Our modified JBL PRX loudspeakers are the best of both worlds. They provide concert quality sound and are ready for DC power, i.e. Pedal Power!
How easy are these to run?
Normally, Pro Audio gear is more complicated to set up and use than the average person can manage alone. But because these are powered speakers with onboard digital signal processing, they’re fairly straightforward. A “powered” speaker means that the amplifier is in the speaker. You simply connect the power cable and the audio signal, and turn the volume knob to the desired setting. The speaker does the rest. For a press conference, you can run a microphone right into the speaker — you don’t even have to own a mixer. Similarly for mobile sound, you can run an MP3 player right into the speaker.
- All PRX600 cabinets are built from a combination of 25mm (on the top and bottom for added rigidity) and 18mm, strong, lightweight poplar plywood made structurally sound with tongue and groove joints. All PRX600 Series cabinets are protected by JBL's tour proven DuraFlex finish. Grilles are made from dent-resistant 16-gauge steel and handles are made from lightweight, glass-filled nylon for added strength and durability.
- They can all be carried by bike, and they can all be lifted by one person.
- Our latest generation of Pedal Power Utility Box has “Split Rail” outputs that connect directly to these speakers.
- Our Modified JBL PRX line can also still be plugged into the wall when pedal power is not available.
- Elevating the speaker on a stand puts them above ear level, which dramatically improves the clarity of the music when there are multiple rows of listeners.
- Since we modify the circuit board, the JBL factory warranty will be void. We offer our own 2-year warranty in its place.
- Bay Area musicians have used and trusted these speakers on hundreds of gigs, locally and on international tours.
- The modified JBL PRX loudspeakers are also the secret behind Rock the Bike’s famous art bikes
Starting at $1,400
2 YEAR WARRANTY
90 DAY RETURN POLICY
NO RESTOCK FEE
LONG SERVICE LIFE
ON THE MARKET SINCE 2013